2018 Days of Caring
Days of Caring is a United Way of Williamson County initiative to scale and coordinate strategic volunteer engagement across Williamson County.
This year, we worked with over a dozen corporate partners to recruit volunteers, and then assigned them to local nonprofit agencies with service projects. On September 20 and 21, 604 volunteers committed 3,021 service hours to nonprofits across Williamson and Davidson Counties. Click here to view the photo gallery.
Days of Caring maximizes the impact of volunteering and provides various benefits for the agencies, volunteers, and community at large. For example:
- Volunteers helped agencies tackle projects that would have remained unfeasible without the labor and capacity to complete targeted projects within a day or two.
- While on site, volunteers learned about the mission of the agency.
- Volunteering strengthens Williamson County by increasing the capacity to identify and respond to human needs.
- Volunteering allows United Way partners to take greater ownership of the community they serve, granting the people who live and work in the Middle Tennessee a deeper awareness of the nonprofit community.
Volunteers helped with a range of service projects, including:
- Yard cleaning and spray painting rocking chairs at Williamson County CASA (by eviCore Healthcare, Optum)
- Painting and organizing at the Community Child Care Center (by Franklin Synergy Bank)
- Painting at the Refuge Center for Counseling (by PICA)
- Sorting and organizing toy donations at GraceWorks Ministries (by SVMIC)
- Assisting Second Harvest Food Bank with food sorting and various tasks (by Aetna)
- Cleaning, organizing, and setting up classrooms at High Hopes Development Center (by SVMIC, PICA)
- Painting fences, railings, and outdoor furniture at McLemore House Museum (by eviCoreHealthcare)
- Landscaping at Poplar Grove Elementary (by Atmos Energy, CenterPoint Energy, City of Franklin)
- Cleaning and organizing Mercy Community Healthcare’s storage room (by SVMIC)
- Painting the Gaylord Cubworld showers at Boy Scouts of America Middle TN (by Enterprise)
- Cleaning and organizing at Fifty Forward-College Grove (by eviCore Healthcare and NexGen Healthcare)
- Writing thank you notes and addressing envelopes at Mercy Community Health (Optum)
- Yardwork, sorting, and organizing at My Friend’s House (by MRA)
- Improving driveway and cleaning/organizing home for Bridges Domestic Violence Center (by PwC)
- Painting porch railings at Waves (by StrategyCorps)
- Painting a deck for the Community Housing Partnership (by eviCore Healthcare)
- Trimming trees, winterizing gardens, and other tasks at the Center for Living and Learning farm (by Bank Director, VGT)
- Making lavender sachet bags for Bridges Domestic Violence Center (by Gränges Americas)
- Assisting ARC of Williamson County with data entry and filing (by eviCore Healthcare)
- Sorting clothes donations at Nurses for Newborns (by SVMIC)
- Painting, cleaning playground, and assisting with other tasks at the Sexual Assault Center (by Journal Communications)
- Cleaning and painting at Mental Health America (by SVMIC)
- Painting, organizing, and assisting with various tasks at the Fairview Boys and Girls Club (by eviCore Healthcare, Publix)
We are grateful for all the volunteers who fulfilled these projects! Thank you!
Days of Caring is coordinated by our Volunteer Center, which is managed by Debby Rainey. Learn more about Full Tummies, Warm Hearts (our volunteer-driven Thanksgiving Food Drive) and other volunteer activities at United Way. Feel free to join our e-newsletter to stay in the loop about opportunities to give back.