Let’s Fight Summer Slide
We’re excited about summer activities that promote literacy and learning with kids. Annually, once the school year and our tutoring sessions wrap up, United Way’s Raise Your Hand Tutoring (RYH) program champions activities that focus on the importance of daily reading and the effects of summer learning loss. RYH has provided sub-grants to partners to extend our education initiative into the summer months.
Why? When kids are not engaged in high-quality learning activities during the summer, they are at risk of losing significant learning achievements acquired during the school year. This academic regression is often referred to as “summer slide.”
We know that kids can make significant learning gains when they have access to reading resources all year long. So, we encourage caregivers to utilize the following free reading activities—which are open to kids ages 11 and under.
Three school libraries are all geared up to provide fun story hours, learning activities, and snacks to kids. These activities are tailored to the development of younger students, but you can also incorporate the suggested learning ideas for tweens and teens (listed in graphic) into your summer routine.
Chapman’s Retreat Elementary School
Address: 1000 Secluded Ln, Spring Hill, TN 37174
The library will be open from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm, with story hour at 11:00 am.
School contacts: Miss Blum (email@example.com) and Mrs. Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- June 5 – Story hour: Norman the Slug with the Silly Shellby Sue Hendra
- June 13 – Story hour: If You Give a Mouse a Cookieby Laura Numeroff
- June 19 – Story hour: Dragons Love Tacosby Adam Rubin
- June 26 – Discovery Zone Bus / An engaging, hands-on exploration about “The Science of Me”
- July 10 – Story hour: Please Mr. Pandaby Steve Antony
- July 17 – Story hour: The Rainbow Fishby Marcus Pfister
Westwood Elementary School
Address: 7200 Tiger Trail, Fairview, TN 37062
The library will be open on the following Tuesdays from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm: June 4, June 11, June 18, June 25, July 9, and July 16.
School contact: Nychelle McKissack
- 9:30 – 10:30: Open reading and AR testing
- 10:30 – 11:30: Story hour and project
- 11:30 – 12:30: Open reading and AR testing
Liberty Elementary School
Address: 600 Liberty Pike, Franklin, TN 37064
School contact: Laura Watts (email@example.com)
- June 26 – 10:00 – 12:00
- July 11 – 10:00 – 12:00
- July 25 – 10:00 – 12:00
You are welcome to join our volunteer tutor team, which helps kids excel in school! Tutoring is extremely flexible and works around your school and/or work schedule. Learn more.