Free Tax Prep
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service, is a national program staffed by local volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of income tax returns. It’s an important service to thousands of individuals and families with low-to-moderate incomes. The average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of households helped at Williamson County VITA sites in 2018 was $27,230.
Last tax season, 45 volunteers helped to prepare 1,472 tax returns and returned over $1.1 million in total refunds in Williamson County. In 2019, we’re expanding service to Maury and Hickman Counties. As the local population continues to grow, we need more volunteer help than ever!
WHY BE A VITA VOLUNTEER?
- Receive free IRS certification training; no prior experience needed
- Gain valuable tax knowledge
- Have flexibility based on your schedule
- Serve your community and give back
- Network with volunteers
- Earn Continuing Education (CE) credits
WHAT VOLUNTEER POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE?
- Greeter/Screener: Greeters/Screeners are the first contact for clients at a site. Screeners are responsible for assisting clients with the IRS intake form and ensuring taxpayers have the correct tax documentation and identification. Screeners determine if the client qualifies for free tax preparation based upon their income documents.
- Interpreter: Interpreters work with the screener, tax preparers and clients as needed. Given the growing diversity in our area, interpreters play an important role.
- Tax Preparer: Tax preparers assist taxpayers with their tax returns using the TaxSlayer online software.
- Quality Reviewer: Quality Reviewers play a vital role in improving accuracy. Quality Reviewers follow a checklist on the IRS intake form after the tax return has been completed by a tax preparer.
- MyFreeTaxes Guide: MyFreeTaxes (MFT), a tax software powered by H&R Block, is a self-preparation service for taxpayers. The MyFreeTaxes Guide is a tax preparer who assists taxpayers preparing their own tax returns.
- Site Coordinator: This role is for an experienced volunteer tax preparer. Site Coordinators are the primary resource for volunteers because of their experience and knowledge.
WHAT ARE THE VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS?
All of our VITA volunteers must be certified by the IRS by passing IRS certification tests. Your volunteer role will determine which tests you must complete. United Way of Williamson County and United Way of Metropolitan Nashville offer training materials and classroom training in December/January to prepare. Self-study training is available online starting in November.
Volunteers are needed to work at least one shift per week during the tax season, which runs from January 26 through April 15, 2019. Shifts are 3 or 4 hours, depending on the location. We have shifts available during the weekdays, weeknights, and Saturdays.
HOW DO I SIGN-UP TO BE A VITA VOLUNTEER?
WHERE ARE THE VITA SITES?
UWWC manages four traditional tax assistance locations across Williamson County. Site operation hours vary by site. If you are interested in volunteering at other VITA sites in middle Tennessee, please contact your local United Way office.
- Williamson County Public Library
1314 Columbia Avenue
Franklin, TN 37064
- GraceWorks Ministries
104 Southeast Parkway, Suite 100
Franklin, TN 37064
- Triangle School (Historic Building)
7120 Westview Drive
Fairview, TN 37062
- FiftyForward – College Grove
8607 Horton Highway
College Grove, TN 37046
- Spring Hill Public Library
144 Kedron Parkway
Spring Hill, TN 37174
- Maury County Senior Center
1020 Maury County Park Drive
Columbia, TN 38401
- Hickman County Public Library
120 W. Swan Street
Centerville, TN 37033