Free Tax Prep
FREE TAX PREPARATION
United Way of Williamson County’s Free Tax Prep (also known as VITA), in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service, is a national program staffed by local IRS-certified volunteers to provide free preparation and electronic filing of income tax returns to households that earned $66,000 or less in 2018.
Volunteers also educate taxpayers about tax credits for which they may qualify such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, American Opportunity Credit, etc. Starting at the end of January through mid-April, we offer Free Tax Prep at the following sites:
- Williamson County Public Library (Franklin, TN)
- Historic Triangle School (Fairview, TN)
- GraceWorks Ministries (Franklin, TN)
- FiftyForward Senior Center (College Grove, TN)
- Spring Hill Public Library (Spring Hill, TN)
- Maury County Senior Center (Columbia, TN)
- Hickman County Public Library (Centerville, TN)
2019 TAX SEASON RESULTS
The following are results from the United Way of Williamson County Free Tax Prep locations:
- Total # of Returns: 1,742
- Total Federal Refunds: $1,600,317
- Estimated savings in preparation fees: $384,400
GETTING TAX HELP
Our sites are now closed. However, MyFreeTaxes.com, the free, online software powered by H&R Block, is open to filers through October 15, 2019. Also, we are providing tax help with a volunteer tax preparer on a once a month basis. For an appointment in Franklin, call (615) 830-7940. For an appointment in Nashville call (615) 861-3008. Please check back after January 1, 2020 for more information on the 2020 tax filing season and to make an appointment.
The VITA program is funded under a Grant Contract with the State of Tennessee.